Chillsner, one way to keep you beer cold this summer!
Now that we have officially passed the first day of summer, we know that the really hot days are still ahead of us. With that in mind, we figured a rundown of ways to keep your beer cool was in order. There’s nothing like getting to the bottom of your favorite beer only to realize that it is uncomfortably warm.
Ask the Brewer
How do you keep beer at a good drinking temperature during the summer?
As with other things in the brewing industry, there are many opinions on this subject. We are going to skip past the whole style vs. temperature discussion and make the assumption that since we are talking about the summer heat that means we are talking about Lagers, Pilsners and other summer centric styles.
With that in mind, we know that many macro-brews are advertised as being best when served ice-cold, and beer glasses can be found in freezers far and wide because of this. Thermodynamics hold true that a cold liquid poured into a cold container is going to stay colder longer. However, many craft beer lovers object to frozen mugs for several reasons:
- Freezing mugs can create ice crystals (or frozen sanitizing chemicals) on the inside of the glass which may water down the beer
- Beer that is really, really cold, can numb the palate and thereby suppress various flavors and aromas
- With the air circulation that occurs in modern freezers, you can end up with a lot of bacteria deposited on the inside of the glass
In contrast, having your beer be too warm can also be a problem. Greg Engert, one of the earliest ‘beer sommeliers’ in the industry, has stated that “It’s a delicate balancing act, since going too warm will rob some beers of their sparkle and the refreshing qualities they provide in congress with their flavor profiles.”
That being said, many people still find a really cold beer more refreshing than a slightly warmer one. So, what can you do besides freezing the glass?
- Keep your beer glass in the refrigerator (instead of the freezer); there are no ice crystals that way, and the beer will stay cooler longer
- Koozies can be a good option as they help to insulate the beer from the summer heat as well as help to keep a good grip on your beer
- Consider the Chillsner (pictured above); for those who love a good bottle of beer but want to go a bit more high tech, they aren’t so good at getting a warm beer cooled down, however, they can keep an already chilled beer from warming up too fast
When you get right down to it, you should drink your beer at whatever temp you prefer. Life’s too short to get your undies in a bunch. Relax… have a beer!
This Friday, June 24th, we welcome R Taco back for their first visit of the summer. A fistful of tacos in one hand and a pint of Lime Shandy in the other sounds like a great start to the weekend!
On Saturday, June 25th, Soup Coupe will be here with their summer selection of selection of both hot and cold soups as well as a tantalizing variety of lettuce wraps. I can personally attest that the gazpacho pairs perfectly with an IPA…. just sayin!
Also on Friday (the 24th), we’ll once again be tapping a batch of Raspberry Infused Pyro, because you all still keep asking for it. Not that I blame you, it is a bit of a hot weather quencher.
- Tap selection includes Pyro APA, Roasted Coffee Ale, Fused Orange Blossom Honey Ale, Parched Lime Shandy, Raj-Agni IPA and Raspberry Infused Pyro
- Thirsty Thursdays $1 off pints and $2 off growler fills (no growler or grumbler fills after 8pm on Thursdays)
- Chocolate-Strawberry and Orange Cupcake from Groundswell includes a moist chocolate strawberry cake with an orange curd center, and a chocolate whipped cream with orange zest and chocolate chunks
On Friday, June 24th, we are excited to once again be part of the Beer Dabbler at Twin Cities Pride! The 50+ participating Minnesota breweries will each be serving a special, one-off beer that celebrates and pays homage to the icons and advocates from the GLBT community. For our contribution, we will be unveiling our “Rad Bromance”, a Raspberry Chocolate Strong Ale in tribute to Lady Gaga. We hope to see you there!
As always, if you have questions, drop us a note via Email, Facebook or Twitter.